Pumpkin Spice Pancakes with Shaved Dark Chocolate

20091011-Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

After the weeks of glo­ri­ous win­ter squashes from the CSA, this last week we finally got a pump­kin! We instantly started mak­ing a list of dishes want to use it for. Pumpkin bread, soup, muffins, pan­cakes, pie, etc. — you get the idea. Fortunately, the pump­kin was large enough that we can use it for a few meals. One after­noon Megan roasted the pump­kin, allow­ing us to use it when­ever we need, which is great because I wanted pan­cakes as soon as I woke up this morning.

The pan­cakes were won­der­ful — nice pump­kin fla­vor, a bit of spice from the cloves. Even bet­ter, this recipe couldn’t be any eas­ier; just throw some ingre­di­ents in a blender and you’re ready to cook. We topped the pan­cakes with organic maple syrup, a sliced apple from this week’s CSA share, a dust­ing of pow­dered sugar and shaved dark choco­late. My good­ness it was amaz­ing. In fact, while you read how to make them, I’m going to go eat the left-overs while while I watch football.

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes

3/4 cup milk
1 cup cake flour
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nut­meg
3/4 tsp. cin­na­mon
1/2 tsp. ground gin­ger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. table salt
1 egg
1/2 cup pump­kin pureé

Add ingre­di­ents in order to a blender and blend until well mixed.

DSC_5158

DSC_5160

DSC_5167

Scoop bat­ter in 1/4 cup serv­ings onto a but­tered, pre­heated grid­dle (or large skil­let) and cook until done, 2 to 3 min­utes per side.

DSC_5173

Dust lightly with pow­dered sugar and top with shaved dark choco­late. Serve with warm maple syrup. This recipe will make roughly ten 4 inch pan­cakes if a 1/4 cup is used to scoop them.

DSC_5180

DSC_5175

If you make these, let me know what you think!

This entry was posted in Breakfast, Recipes, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

7 Comments

1. Posted October 13, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

The per­fectly uni­form shape and thick­ness of your pan­cakes is kind of mesmerizing…

2. Posted October 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

thanks jenn. using a 1/4 cup to scoop each one and pour­ing it slowly is the best way i’ve learned to get them that way.

3. Posted October 17, 2009 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Just fin­ished mak­ing and con­sum­ing these treats. Delicious. We used Vanilla Soy milk and didn’t have an apple (sadly), so we just put the dark choco­late and extra pow­dered sugar (and but­ter, yes). Thanks, as always.

• Posted October 17, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink

sh4wn, that’s awe­some. so glad you liked them!

4. Posted October 31, 2009 at 7:47 am | Permalink

Everything I have seen so far is so com­fort­ing and screams autumn. Here in Canada our win­ters would be longer that in your State so we need all the com­fort we can get for now.

5. Posted November 2, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I attempted pump­kin pan­cakes with­out a recipe and they were not great — I’ll try this recipe soon and let you know how it goes!

One Trackback

• By uberVU - social comments on November 12, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Social com­ments and ana­lyt­ics for this post…

This post was men­tioned on Twitter by iatethat­blog: Pumpkin Spice Pancakes with Shaved Dark Chocolate http://bit.ly/h7ezw

• My Sponsors