Zucchini Rollatini with Roasted Butternut Squash Cream Sauce

20090912 - Zucchini Rollatini

I’ve read many a blog post recently about hav­ing way too much of var­i­ous items from people’s CSAs. For some, it’s zuc­chini. For oth­ers, yel­low squash. For us, it’s been egg­plant. Now, I’ve never been a huge fan of egg­plant up until recently, but we have received so much of it over the past 2 months that we just couldn’t take it any more. Which is why we were delighted to not only have an egg­plant free share this week, but to have received two rather nice look­ing zuc­chi­nis. Lately I’ve been want­ing to do a rol­la­tini which is typ­i­cally made with egg­plant but due to my recent aver­sion to the egg­plant I have wanted to make it with zuc­chini. As soon as I saw these green god­desses in our share box this week, I knew i’d make it. But, for a twist I decided I’d make a cream sauce with but­ter­nut squash, one of which we just hap­pened to still have hang­ing around. For the full recipe and more pic­tures, keep reading.

The star of this dish was by far the sauce. It was so vel­vety smooth and burst­ing with fall fla­vors that I felt like it was the end of October rather then the begin­ning of September. The sauce was super easy to make and with a few mod­i­fi­ca­tions I think it would actu­ally work really well as just a soup. I am pray­ing that we will get more but­ter­nut squashes this fall as this recipe will become a sta­ple in our house!

Butternut Squash Cream Sauce

1 but­ter­nut squash
2 tbsp. but­ter
2 shal­lots, chopped
salt and pep­per to taste
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parme­san cheese
1/4 tsp. nut­meg
1/8 tsp. all­spice
1/2 cup apple juice

Preheat oven to 400º F. Cut Butternut Squash in half length­wise and remove seeds.

BEN_4537

Place on a greased cookie sheet cut side down and roast for  35 – 45 min depend­ing on the size of your squash. Once squash has cooked, let cool for 10 min.

BEN_4557

BEN_4552

While Squash is cool­ing, Preheat a large saucepan with but­ter. Add shal­lots, salt & pep­per and sauté for 7 min­utes until shal­lots are translu­cent. Once squash has cooled, pureé in a blender with cream. Add the squash & cream mix­ture to shal­lots along with apple juice, all­spice, nut­meg and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, sim­mer­ing for 10 min­utes. Makes roughly 3 cups of sauce, depend­ing on the size of your squash.

BEN_4559

Zucchini Rollatini

2 medium zuc­chini cut into 1/8 – 1/4″ slices, pat­ted dry
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup panko bread­crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper

2 cups moz­zarella cheese
1 cup ricotta
chopped basil
a pinch of chopped fresh oregano
a pinch of chopped fresh rose­mary
a pinch of salt & pepper

3 cups Butternut Squash Cream Sauce (recipe above)
1/4 cup shred­ded fresh Parmesan cheese
chopped parsley

BEN_4546

Preheat oven to 350º F.
Using 3 bowls, set up a dredge sta­tion with flour in first bowl, eggs in 2nd bowl and the remain­ing dredge ingre­di­ents in third bowl. Coat zuc­chini slices one at a time in flour, egg then bread­crumb mix­ture. Place breaded zuc­chini slices on a greased cookie sheet (most likely you’ll need two sheets).

BEN_4563

BEN_4566

Bake slices for 30 min flip­ping once halfway through. Let cool for 10 min once done cook­ing. While Zucchini is cool­ing, mix cheeses, herbs, salt and pepper.

BEN_4570

BEN_4567

Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bot­tom of a greased 8 x 8 ” glass bak­ing dish. Once zuc­chini is cooled, form a ball out of the cheese mix­ture (about 1/3 cup) and place at the end of a zuc­chini strip. Roll zuc­chini, enclos­ing the cheese mix­ture and place into bak­ing dish. repeat for the rest of the zuc­chini strips and cheese.

BEN_4571

Spread another cup of sauce over the top of the zuc­chini rolls and top with shred­ded Parmesan cheese.

BEN_4574

Place back into oven and bake for 30 min­utes until cheese on top is melted.

BEN_4576

BEN_4578

Serve over penne pasta with remain­ing sauce and gar­nish with parsley.

BEN_4581

This entry was posted in Italian, Recipes, Vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

15 Comments

1. Mom
    Posted September 12, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

When can we come to din­ner and you make this? I’ll bring the home made ice cream. My mouth is water­ing already.

2. Ben
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

man, i’m so with you on egg­plant. I don’t want to eat one again for a year.

3. Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

This looks deli­cious! The only thing that could pos­si­bly make it bet­ter would be the addi­tion of sausage or pancetta! :)

4. Posted September 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

yeah, i agree pancetta would have been nice. i love it. but we try to make veg­e­tar­ian options pretty reg­u­larly. out­side of that, there’s PLENTY of pork prod­uct con­sumed :)

5. Posted October 17, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

This looks so good. I am going to attempt to make a ver­sion the sauce to serve with either tortellini or gnoc­chi, but I will one day try it with the zucchini.

6. teagan
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

just fin­ished mak­ing it — and it’s the best thing i’ve ever eaten.
    every­one should try mak­ing this — it’s time con­sum­ing, but not dif­fi­cult, and so so worth it.
    thanks for the amaz­ing recipe!

7. Posted October 18, 2009 at 10:52 am | Permalink

thanks tea­gan! glad it worked out well for you and that you liked it. that was my thought after mak­ing this as well. took me some time, but SO worth it in the end. we froze some of the left­overs and recently i had some. this freezes really well and all the taste was still there.

8. Posted October 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

I found your blog via Cramped Kitchen. The but­ter­nut squash sauce recipe is quite creative!

9. Posted November 11, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve never seen any­thing like this — it looks deli­cious — and I love that the zucchinni is baked rather than fried.

10. Posted January 1, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

That looks sooooo good.
    Bookmarked.
    Thanks.
    Happy New Year, Rosemary

• Posted January 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

thank you so much, rose­mary! i hope you have a great new year as well.

11. Allison
    Posted January 5, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

If some­one wants an inter­est­ing vari­ant, sub­sti­tute the but­ter­nut squash with acorn squash. Use veg­etable broth mea­sure for mea­sure in place of apple juice to lower the sugar. (add some maple syrup for sweet­ness :-) For a health­ier alter­na­tive to heavy cream, use Evaporated Skim Milk. This goes great with Gnocchi. All the earthy fla­vors blend­ing together.

12. Danielle
    Posted July 8, 2010 at 11:29 am | Permalink

OMG! My hubby and I made this last night because I had an empty fridge except for a but­ter­nut squash and 3 zuc­chi­nis so as I was googling recipes I stum­bled acorss this. AMAZING! Truely one of the best dishes I have ever had!! I had to make some mod­i­fi­ca­tions since I was work­ing with my week’s end groceries…(broth and salty spices instead of apple juice and sweet, didnt have the ricotta so just used shred­ded cheese, etc.) but it was soooo good!!! I will have to try some of your other recipes now for sure, thanks for posting!

• Posted July 8, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Danielle, thank you so much! i am so glad you enjoyed it. Please let me know if you make any­thing else.

One Trackback

• By *Gasp* « An August Imagination on October 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm

[…] stum­bled upon this recipe, for zuc­chini rol­la­tini in a but­ter­nut squash sauce. What?! I’m going to attempt this at […]

• My Sponsors